The life-force of the Pink Ribbon Program is to ensure that every woman has the ability to regain a sense of wellbeing that had been lost from diagnosis through surgery and into recovery. This can be achieved, in part, through an exercise therapy programme designed specifically for the needs and challenges facing the growing number of breast cancer survivors.Rehabilitation is a key component often missing in the treatment of breast cancer. Sandrine is one of the Pink Ribbon certified instructors in UK and makes sure our classes are adapted for our Breast cancer survivors. Sandrine is also a of a rare Scarwork massage therapist in the UK and can help you with any scars after surgery,
– You can do Pilates in many different positions: supine (on the back), prone (on the stomach), side-lying, standing, and seated.
– The exercises and equipment can be modified for any level.
– You will be able to use the affected arm(s) more easily and naturally because Pilates is a whole-body exercise system that includes the arms and legs in the movements.
– The principles help you live in the moment by keeping you focused on moving properly, with control and without momentum.
– Deep rib cage breathing and the multidimensional breathing patterns help ease tension, encourage lymphatic drainage, and stretch tight areas affected by scars.
– Pilates increases muscle strength, especially in the back of the shoulders and the middle back, where you need it after breast cancer surgery.
– Pilates strengthens the transverse abdominis, a muscle that is very important for back stability and strength after a TRAM (transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous) flap or DIEP (deep inferior epigastric perforator) flap breast reconstruction procedure.
Many treatments for breast cancer can induce menopause in women who are not yet menopausal. Pilates helps by strengthening the pelvic floor muscles, which are responsible for bladder control.
“I first worked with Sandrine and her team at Sandrine’s Pilates in February 2010 where she tailored a Pilates session especially for my ‘On Camp with Kelly’ initiative. Since then Sandrine and her team have been involved with many Kelly Holmes Education programmes. I am really impressed by Sandrine’s knowledge, enthusiasm, professionalism and her ability to adapt each session to include elements of challenge, learning and development. Believe me when I say one of Sandrine’s sessions makes you alert and gets you switching on your core muscles!”
“Sandrine has really helped me to re-educate my training on my core stability, flexibility and balance. I enjoy learning new ways of testing my ability and challenging my body. Sandrine has been such a great support with this over the years and I love going to the studio to use specialist equipment.”
“BarrePlus classes at Sandrine’s Pilates studio really changed my body shape. I am now the smallest and strongest I have ever been. Classes are very challenging but fun too. At Sandrine’s Pilates I have not just changed my body and posture but I have made friends too, it is very social and friendly.”
“I have been referred by my osteopath to go to Sandrine’s after a major surgery in my lower back. Her expertise, encouragement, support and patience help me in my recovery. I would never have been able to go back to my daily tasks without her help. I even went back skiing last year. Thank you.”